Saturday, July 02, 2011

Hook... Line.... Sinker?




I always find the oddest times and things to blog about. I am uncertain of why I do these things. I am uncertain why I do a lot of things.

I start things and have no intentions of finishing them? Why? I know the answer to this one. I test my patience so much. And it always proves to be just as strong as it was before. I already know what I want. Doing things, or starting things rather, that I don't intend on finishing just reinforces the things I want so badly. Or, most importantly, the things I need.

I was at work when an older couple came in shopping for new wedding bands. They had been married for 35 years. And to me that seems like a long time because, well, I have a hard time putting up with other peoples crap for just 5 minutes.
After congratulating the wife, I asked her, "How do you do it? How do you make it work for so long?" And she told me the greatest thing I have ever heard. She said, "You can't have it all." I looked at her with a puzzled expression after she said that and I asked her to explain.

"You can't have it all, you have to give and take. And it's never 50/50, it's more like 80/80. Everyone gives more than half. And you can't expect certain things to always run smoothly, because it's not realistic. No one is perfect but we love them regardless."

Probably not a direct ver batim quote, but you get the gist of what I'm trying to say. It's been said several times by several different people that love isn't a one way street. I think it is. Two people can go the same street, but they have to be willing to not run and walk when their partner has had enough running for one day. You have to sit on the side of said street sometimes and just smile at everything around you and appreciate what you have.

Going back to the thesis of this blog and into the heart of it all. I know what I want, I have to be patient to obtain it. I've been patient for 21 years, what's a few more gonna do to me? Besides, if you know what you want, if you've found the catch all that just takes you above and beyond any kind of happy you've ever felt, if you know it's worth waiting for, then time seems obsolete.

I'm gonna fall back on my favorite thing in the entire world. 1 Corinthians 13. I always remember this when I find myself pondering love. I fall back on it basically because if you dissect it, it teaches you how to love someone just as the woman who came in the store learned to love her husband. Be patient, generous, and kind. Don't keep track of anything they did wrong so you look like a better person when you probably screw up just as much as they do. All these little things are like the gears inside of a pocket watch, if one thing breaks it's not going to work properly. Each thing helps the whole being survive.

By no means is life perfect, no. But all things are made perfect in love.

♥ Toodles

No comments: